Monday, June 19, 2006

Two Language Culture

I emailed the following letter to Lowe's today:

This afternoon (Monday June 19th) I walked into your Manassas store to do some shopping. It was the first time I have been there in several weeks.

I was quite disturbed to see all of your signage now in both English and Spanish. I understand that many of your customers are Hispanic. And I also understand that some of them probably do not speak English.

I understand as well that by succumbing to the temptation to go bilingual, Lowe's is now aiding in the decline of American culture. It may make some sense from a business point of view to offer your Hispanic customers signage in their own language. But it makes no sense from an American point of view because it weakens rather than strengthens our nation.

Do you realize that by displaying store signage in Spanish, you are actually encouraging our Hispanic neighbors (both legal and illegal) to not become assimilated into our culture? This is the message you are sending out to them and to us as well (your many loyal, American-born, English speaking customers). It may not be intentional, but it is surely subliminal. Apparently, you must want America to become two nations.

I am not opposed at all to Hispanic people, nor to any other cultural group coming legally to America to improve their lives. But I am appalled at the lust for profit that I see in so many American corporations, willing to compromise our nation's future and our own great culture for short term profit.

Please reconsider your decision and change things back to the way they were. Every time I enter your store now I will think of Lowe's as a money-grubbing corporation, more interested in turning a quick profit, than upholding traditional American values.

I am very disappointed. I will do as much of my future shopping for home improvement products and tools at my locally-owned hardware store and building supply as I possibly can. It may cost me a little bit more, but it will be worth it to me to put my money into the hands of people who still care about America.

Do you hire illegals, too?

Regretfully,

Mark W. Weaver

P.S. I am posting this letter on my blog and emailing it to a number of my friends so they will know of my position on this matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home