Friday, February 11, 2005

Reading: Tangled Up in the Bible by Michael Gilmour

I purchased a new book, this one about Bob Dylan. I have long been a Dylan fan, buying my first Dylan album, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, in 1964.

Michael Gilmour, Associate Professor of New Testament at Providence College and Seminary in Otterburne, Manitoba Canada, has penned a reflective treatise on the amazing Biblical imagery found in Dylan's lyrics. Gilmour's book, Tangled up in the Bible: Bob Dylan & Scriptureinvestigates Dylan's work, looking for and finding the echoes of Holy Scripture everywhere in his writings.

A reviewer writes these words: "Gilmour closely reads Dylan's poems and songs and provides commentaries on several themes found in Dylan's work: the Sermon on the Mount and Jesus; apocalypse, justice and judgement; oppressive religion and religious irony. Through these readings, Gilmour calls attention to the various ways Dylan uses scripture both in an explicit and an implicit manner."

I have just begun to read this book, and as a writer myself, and a lover of scripture, look forward to enhancing my own literary abilities as my artistic mind is stimulated.

1 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Joey said...

Hey good review of Gilmour's "Tangled Up In The Bible." I went to Providence for a few years and was one of Gilmour's students. He's a great teacher and an all-round great guy. I'd love to hear what you think about the book once you finish it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home